Beautimous Buns
Nothing beats a couple of hot buns on a chilly day...
Smooth, round, touchably firm, just the right size for the palm of your hand...the mere thought sends me into a fit of reverie! Their heat, their scent, their allure -- all you need is a dab of butter to make them melt in your mouth. And you don't even need to go near a gym to find them.

Instead what you need is a couple of hours on a crisp autumn day, a pile of dried fruit and some latent desire for the first subtle hint of the holidays. (Note: since this is actually a modified Hot Cross Bun recipe, it technically doesn't matter which holiday...) There's simply something about dried fruit that always puts me in mind of Thanksgiving and Christmas. (And no, I'm not alluding to family).
Hot (Holiday) Buns
What You Need
I.
What You Do
Smooth, round, touchably firm, just the right size for the palm of your hand...the mere thought sends me into a fit of reverie! Their heat, their scent, their allure -- all you need is a dab of butter to make them melt in your mouth. And you don't even need to go near a gym to find them.

Instead what you need is a couple of hours on a crisp autumn day, a pile of dried fruit and some latent desire for the first subtle hint of the holidays. (Note: since this is actually a modified Hot Cross Bun recipe, it technically doesn't matter which holiday...) There's simply something about dried fruit that always puts me in mind of Thanksgiving and Christmas. (And no, I'm not alluding to family).
What You Need
I.
- 8 oz all-purpose flour (white or wheat)
- 2 oz sugar
- 3 or 4 handfuls of dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, tart cherries, sultanas, currants - you pick!)
- 1 tsp. all-spice
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of salt
II.
- 1/4 pint milk
- 1/4 pint hot water minus 3 tablespoons
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 4 oz all-purpose flour (white or wheat - same as list I)
- 1 pkg. yeast
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 oz melted butter
What You Do
- Place all of the ingredients from list I in a large mixing bowl. Stir, then set aside.
- Heat 1/4 pint milk in a small saucepan, being careful not to let it boil (remember, milk boils fast, so keep an eye on it!)
- Pour the warmed milk into a jug and immediately add 1/4 point hot tap water (minus three tablespoons - don't ask why, just do it. This was a great-grandmother's recipe, there's a reason for it somewhere).
- Add the yeast, sugar and flour to the milk and water, then stir until the mixture froths (this is a sign that the yeast has activated).
- Add the egg and melted butter to the yeast mixture, then pour it into the mixing bowl containing the ingredients in list I.
- Stir then knead the mixture until it forms a dough. (Note: if the mixture seems especially runny, don't panic - just keep on adding small amounts of flour until it comes together - a little faith and perhaps a strong whiskey are helpful at this juncture).
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, crank up the stereo to something with a beat and knead for a good ten minutes - until the dough has acquired a smooth, elastic texture.
- Pull off small lumps of dough and shape them into balls a little smaller than the palm of your hand.
- Place the lumps on a floured baking sheet, cover it with a damp dishtowel and place in a warm spot until they have doubled in size. (This should take about two hours, longer if humidity is low).
- Bake buns on 400F for 10 minutes. (Watch the bottoms carefully - you want hot, not burning, buns!)
Perfect for brunches, breakfasts and afternoon snacks!



4 Comments:
Mmmmmmm, hot autumn buns!!
Are those imperial pints or American pints for the water and milk? And I'm assuming your package of yeast is 2+1/2 tsp?
-Elizabeth
Yum!
Hi Elizabeth!
Just realized I owed you a response on the pints question. And it turns out it's a tricky one. I am going to say that it is American pints because that's what I've been using - however, the recipe came from my grandmother via my mother (she might not have pecan pie recipes but she's got the rest - well, except for pumpkin pie, but anyway). That being said, I do end up adding extra flour when it gets to the kneading stage (hence the faith and whiskey comment) so I'm thinking that I may need to assume these are imperial, convert them to American and try again to see whether it makes a difference.
(You thought it was a yes or no response, didn't you!)
You're in luck on the yeast, though - yes - it's a standard small pkg!
Actually, I was half expecting the complex response. I knew that you were from UK but didn't know how recently you had come to USA so wasn't sure if your measuring things were brought from UK or not. Also wasn't sure if the recipe was American or not.
I'll be interested to hear if there is vast difference when you make the recipe with alterations for that little American pint. I'm betting not much - the more bread I make, the more forgiving I notice it is.
-Elizabeth (in Canada, where the pints are Imperial too)
Post a Comment
<< Home